Two suicide bombings that killed about 25 people in Baghdad on Thursday were claimed by Islamic State, whose stronghold of Falluja near the capital is surrounded by Iraqi forces which are now advancing on the city.
The ultra-hardline Sunni insurgents said one attack was carried out with a car laden with explosives and the second with an explosive vest.
Iraqi forces began an offensive against Falluja, 50 km (32 miles) west of Baghdad, on May 23 after a series of deadly bombings hit Shi’ite districts of the capital. The troops yesterday began advancing against the militants inside the city, after completing its encirclement last week.
A police officer said a suicide car bomb had targeted a commercial street of Baghdad al-Jadeeda (New Baghdad), in the east of the capital, killing 17 people and wounding over 50.



Two Israeli female soldiers had to be rescued after being chased by a crowd of hundreds...
Civilian casualties in Ukraine caused by Russian strikes surged by 26% in 2025, reflecting increased Russian...
One of Gaza ’s last functioning large hospitals condemned the decision by Doctors Without Borders to...





























