A Papua New Guinea government official has told the United Nations more than 2,000 people were believed to have been buried alive by Friday's landslide and has formally asked for international help.
The government figure is roughly triple the U.N. estimate of 670 killed by the landslide in the South Pacific island nation's mountainous interior. The remains of only six people had been recovered so far.
In a letter seen by The Associated Press to the United Nations resident coordinator dated Sunday, the acting director of the South Pacific island nation’s National Disaster Center Luseta Laso Mana said the landslide “buried more than 2000 people alive” and caused “major destruction” at Yambali village in the Enga province.



NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte said continued support for Ukraine is central to the alliance’s security,...
US intelligence assessed that Ukraine recaptured around 400 square kilometers of territory after Ukrainian officials disabled...
For decades, the Open Society Foundations have worked to advance justice and human rights in Africa,...
Following pressure from the U.S., the Palestinian Ambassador to the United Nations is withdrawing his bid...





























